Skip to main content

Motor Insurance

A policy is held to provide comprehensive cover for commercial vehicles and private cars owned by the University or hired in the name of the University whilst being used in connection with University activities. Please note that the excess on the policy following damage to a University vehicle or hire vehicle is now £1,000 which is payable by the department.

Drivers must have a clean, valid licence and in the case of minibuses, must have category D1 on their licence.

Please note vehicles hired abroad must be insured with the hire company as the University policy does not provide cover for vehicles hired overseas unless the hire begins in the UK.

Please notify us of any additions or deletions of vehicles to the University’s fleet. For vehicles hired for University business for a period of 14 days or more please complete this form.

Vehicles used for University related activities which are the property of members of staff or students will not be insured by the University. Staff and students must ensure that their own motor policy includes occasional business use.

A copy of the current Motor Insurance Certificate can be downloaded here