Skip to main content


Emergency assistance contact information whilst travelling abroad

If you are currently abroad and need emergency assistance, please see the Emergency Medical and Travel Assistance Guide for details.

Internal Travel Booking and Administration team

The University has an internal Travel Booking and Administration team to assist staff and students. Contact the team for help with a range of enquiries, from booking process support, identifying suitable travel options or finding quotes for group travel, to managing and escalating queries. Please continue to use the online tool for all bookings and amendments in the first instance and visit the University Travel Procurement page for up-to-date information.

Travel Insurance

Please check the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) for travel advice and complete a risk assessment form prior to travel, advice is available from your local Health & Safety contacts. Where travel is against FCDO advice, you must seek advice and approval from your Faculty Health & Safety Manager.

If you plan to travel to any of the countries listed below, you need to notify the Insurance Office at least two weeks before your trip (as we have to notify our insurers to confirm whether or not cover will be in place):

  • Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran, Libya, Mali, Niger, Nigeria (only trips to the Niger Delta Region and North of Abuja), North Korea, Somalia, Syria, Yemen, Venezuela and any country where the FCDO advises against all travel ('red' areas).

Proof of insurance letter to support visa applications

For University staff and students travelling on University business who require a letter to confirm you have University of Leeds travel insurance for a visa application, please download the Word template letter below and complete the relevant sections accurately with your full name, your University ID number, your destination and dates for your trip. Once you have done so, you will need to send the letter together with a scanned copy or photo of your University staff/student ID card to the Insurance Office so that a signed copy can be issued to you (please note that it can take up to 7 working days to process your request). Please send the documents to: with the subject line "Request for visa letter".

Visa letter template (docx), File Download

For further guidance on traveling on University business please click on the Travel Insurance tab at the top of this page.