Skip to main content

Property Insurance

The University has a blanket policy for fire, storm, flood, explosion, malicious damage and similar risks to cover loss or damage to buildings and all contents belonging to the University.

However responsibility for theft and accidental damage on departmental equipment whilst on campus or anywhere in the UK or abroad, rests with individual faculties / schools / departments.

Please note that the University does not provide any insurance cover for the personal effects of staff and students. Responsibility for the safety of personal possessions rests with the individual/owner.

Information on how to insure departmental equipment can be found below:

Insuring departmental equipment and laptops for theft and accidental damage

Cover is automatic but note that the Self-Insurance Policy 2024 carries an excess of £1,000 for all claims that meet the conditions of the Policy.

Please note that where theft occurs, evidence of forcible entry to the room where the equipment is stored is required. There is no cover for equipment left in the open, or in unlocked, unattended rooms or buildings or in an unattended vehicle.

Insurance for high value items on temporary loan to the University or University equipment taken off campus

To ensure that appropriate insurance cover is in place, the Insurance office needs to be notified of the following:

  • Any University equipment taken off campus (within the UK or abroad). Please give at least 2 weeks notice for items valued over £500,000.
  • Items on loan to the University valued over £100,000.

Please complete the Temporary_items_insurance_request_form and email it to the Insurance team at: